Become a Better Leader
Become a Better Leader
The challenge for most business or healthcare professionals is how to boost
productivity at work, while balancing life at home.
Managing Your Mind is the solution.
Through seminars, individual coaching, and educational products, you can enhance your critical thinking skills, such as memory, attention, organization, problem solving, goal setting, time management, reading, and more. Our programs are based on in-depth behavioral research in learning and performance, customized for unique learning styles, and comprise proven, immediately applicable strategies.
Geri specializes in helping individuals and managers boost the effectiveness of the performance appraisal process.
If you or your staff want to become more effective leaders and achieve more work/life balance, email or call about coaching and seminars. Sometimes, relatively few on-site or telephone sessions can foster spectacular results.
Life Coach Increases Profits
A life coach wants to expand his home-based telephone coaching practice. He is interrupted by personal phone calls and chores, and allows distractions to interfere with tasks such as marketing, developing products, and budgeting. Although expenses rise, his cash flow doesn't. Geri helps him confront the challenges of distraction, use strategies to monitor his time, and complete practice-building activities. Liberated from needless distractions, he finishes a CD to boost passive income, and networks to build a larger client base. Decreased distractions lead to increased productivity and profits.
Sales VP Keeps Job
A newly promoted, but disorganized vice
president of sales has difficulty transitioning from “being on the road” to being on-site.
Her lack of organizational skills becomes a more apparent problem in the office and has a
negative impact on the productivity of others. Her job is in jeopardy. To be a great
executive, she needs to improve her executive functioning. 'anaging Your Mind teaches her
systematic strategies to improve her planning, decision-making, delegating, and organizing
skills. She reduces unproductive habits such as misplacing papers, being late for meetings,
and not following through. She keeps her job.
Professor of Law Ensures Promotion
A professor of law needs to
complete four manuscripts required for application for promotion and tenure. His manuscripts
are at different stages of development. Through coaching with Geri, he learns how to better
structure his environment and time, systematically focus on one project at a time, commit to
realistic goals, reduce distractions, and rearrange schedules and work space. He feels
greater control and the chairman of his department feels optimistic about his chances for
success. Four months later he is promoted to full professor by a vote of 18 to 0.
- Defeating the Demons of Distraction: Improving Productivity and Decreasing Stress. Opens the way for more effective work/life performance. Although a few distractions may be easily managed, constant distractions can lead to feeling overwhelmed, irritable, and ineffective. Better control of distraction increases productivity and creativity while decreasing stress. The eight demons of distraction include technology overload, interruptions by others, multitasking, noisy settings, stress, fatigue, illness, and unruly mind. In this highly interactive and practical seminar, participants learn how to identify personal distracters, apply strategies in work and life, reduce stress, and ensure follow-through.
- Finding Your Focus: 6 Tools for Improving Performance and Profits. Shows how one small improvement in focusing one's attention or organizing one's life can begin a powerful process of greater self-management and productivity. Participants learn to use proven strategies such as self-talk, visualization, rules, routines, and checklists to enhance home-based businesses.
- Fast Track Reading. Provides strategies to process information faster, more easily, and with greater comprehension and retention. Everyone is faced with a seemingly endless flood of reading material. Success in today's age of information requires that technical reports, legal documents, correspondence, and e-mail are understood, recalled, and responded to quickly and accurately. Participants learn the usefulness of being an active and flexible reader. Strategies are presented to increase rate, comprehension, retention, and concentration.
- How to Influence Others. Provides practical strategies to increase cooperative efforts at work and at home. In today's fast-moving and economically challenging world, it is easy to feel overwhelmed and unappreciated. An "extra pair of hands" is needed, but cooperation from others is frequently lacking. Behavior management strategies help to get the job done without nagging or fighting. Individuals can learn how to manage themselves and get others to pitch in. Participants learn how to involve the important people in their lives in the change process, develop an action plan, and use results-oriented strategies.
- Improving Listening for Greater Productivity. Demonstrates how to use good listening skills to positively impact relationships, professional development, and productivity. Listening is an often-overlooked skill, and yet 40 percent of all communication is spent listening. Most people have not fully developed their listening skills and therefore are not aware of their importance. Participants discuss personal listening styles and apply active listening and joint problem-solving techniques. This seminar focuses on listening to yourself, listening to others, and getting others to listen to you.
- Improving Memory. Underscores the fact that memory is a skill that can be improved with practice. As our brains are bombarded with information and we are forced to multi-task, it seems that our minds shift into overdrive while our memories drop into low gear. It is no wonder that everybody seems to be more prone to forget names, numbers and facts, misplace keys, lose papers, forget chores or miss appointments. Fortunately something can be done. Participants identify memory styles and strengths and practice strategies such as visualization, association, self-talk, and self monitoring checklists for use at work and at home.
- Stopping the "I'll do it later" Cycle. Supplies the techniques for moving from intention to action. The pressure is on for employees to do more with less time and fewer resources. Most people procrastinate at some time or in some situations. Excessive procrastination, however, can lead to loss of productivity and increased stress. Participants complete a procrastination profile and learn easy-to-apply strategies to manage time and responsibilities. Discussions and hands-on activities help participants overcome common barriers and design an action plan to decrease procrastination.
- Positive Assertiveness: How to Say "No" Nicely and Get the Job Done. Provides a framework for effective management and enhanced productivity. With more flexibility in work arrangements, such as flex-time and telecommuting, managers may fail to consistently impose limits and provide corrective feedback. Regardless of the reason for performance slippages, managers need to use assertive skills to raise difficult issues, respond to anger, and deny unreasonable requests. Participants assess their managing style, and engage in competence-building exercises to overcome self-defeating behavior, open up meaningful dialogues, and give (and receive) productive feedback.
- Improving the Bottom Line Using Performance Appraisals. Demonstrates how the performance appraisal process contributes to an effective management system. Like any tool, however, when it is poorly used, it can cause more harm than good. Participants learn how to maximize high performers, develop middle performers, and assist low performers. Tips, techniques, and checklists provide practical suggestions to deal with common problems such as record keeping and communication. Better use of performance appraisals results in greater productivity, improved profitability, higher retention, reduced stress, and reduced legal risk. White Paper: 360 Degree Feedback
- Coaching for Peak Performance. Provides evidence about the benefits of coaching. As organizational and technological advances reshape the way employees work and interact, the need for management to motivate and to model desired outcome behaviors is crucial. Managers and supervisors need to re-examine their roles and responsibilities, and practice those that encourage initiative, critical thinking, and decision-making. Participants discuss critical aspects of coaching and identify their coaching style, discuss steps for effective coaching, and develop a practical plan of action.
- The Dynamics of Decision-Making. Helps professionals ensure success by promoting the understanding of decision-making styles and finding the style appropriate to high stakes situations. Especially relevant in small business settings or family owned businesses. Participants complete a decision-making style inventory and identify their strengths and vulnerabilities given their position within their company. This hands-on seminar includes role playing and development of action plans.
- 8 Steps to Effective Problem-Solving. Provides data-based, problem-solving strategies and tools that can be applied to enhance performance, productivity, and profitability. In today's competitive environment, managers and small business owners need a systematic way of identifying and solving long- and short-term problems. Participants engage in exercises to examine the balance of consequences, find root causes of problems, and prioritize actions.
- Ensuring a Positive Work Climate Using a Systems Approach. Offers research-based strategies for reducing barriers to effective performance and increasing positive interactions. The lack of focus on system components such as goals, work processes, outputs, and feedback, can set the stage for employee frustration and apathy. Participants discuss the contribution of effective system processes to a positive and productive work climate, and engage in activities to apply a systems approach to their own business settings.
- Excellent Customer Service: Putting Your Best Foot Forward. Provides guidelines for increasing profits through customer service excellence. Employers today realize that putting your best foot forward for customers is not just a frill - it's essential for winning and retaining customers in today's competitive marketplace. This practical workshop helps companies develop a customer-oriented culture by giving front-line employees those practical skills needed to exceed customer expectations. Participants discuss examples and case studies, and apply strategies to their individual fields including health care, coaching, or retail.
- Simple Solutions for the Stress Mess. Delivers simple but practical strategies to better manage stress and increase productivity. Downsizing and diminished budgets are just a few of the demands that are creating additional stress for those who have to accomplish more work with fewer resources. Juggling life outside of work is an additional stressor, as people deal with competing values and demands. Participants discover how to avoid or decrease particular stressors and integrate a stress management regime into their work/life settings. Booster strategies are provided to cope with the additional stress that may accompany special events or holidays.
- Just in Time: Time and Task Management. Shows how to stop over scheduling, rushing, and inappropriate multitasking. None of us have enough time, yet each of us has all the time there is. It is the decisions we make regarding how we spend this priceless commodity that make the difference. Participants assess their time management behavior, and practice techniques to develop reasonable goals, devise realistic schedules, and continuously monitor their accomplishments. There is a focus on business time management and discussion of special challenges for the working parent or caretaker.
Work Related BOOKS and RESOURCES
Book: Defeating the 8 Demons of Distraction: Proven Strategies to Increase Productivity and Decrease Stress (More Information)
Booklet: Defeating the Demons of Distraction: 111 Ways to Improve Work/Life Performance and Decrease Stress (More Information)
Coaching Cards: Mem-Cards for Defeating the Demons of Distraction (More Information)
Compact Disc: Managing Your Memory (More Information)